Saturday, November 3, 2007

As promised, The 2007 Japan Cup.



Tochigi-kenSo. I went to Tochigi-ken last weekend.
Despite the fact that there was a big Hallowe'en party in Aichi for the JETs. Despite every Japanese person I talked to saying "there is absolutely nothing to do in Tochigi-ken".
Despite the fact that Tokyo is about 2 hours away (and about $100 one way) by Shinkansen (bullet train) and Tochigi is another 2 hours away by regular train. . .I went to Tochigi.
Why you might ask, would I go to such a place if there is nothing to do there? Well, despite what everyone said, I knew better! That particular weekend was the annual Japan cup, which is a big cycling race! So, I went to Tokyo for the weekend to visit my friends and headed up to Tochigi by myself on Sunday to see the cup. I had to wake up at 5am in order to get from Tokyo to Tochigi in time for the start though. . .it wasn't so fun. BUT the race itself was great. I'm really glad that I made the trek.

Tokyo, was also fun. I stayed with Satoko and met up with Naomi on Saturday which was great. I went to a people tree (read: fairtrade and organic) store and spent far too much money, but not based on the amount of labour that went into the clothes. . .anyways, we visited Harajuku (my second time) and then. . .the Typhoon that had hit Tokyo began to make itself apparent. I mean, it had been raining all day so it was clear there was a Typhoon. . .but around 4pm it started to become nearly impossible to do anything without getting completely drenched and potentially blown away. Satoko and I attempted to go to Roppongi and Ginza (two famous districts of Tokyo that I had yet to visit) but it ended up not being worth it. In Roppongi the weather made it was difficult to see anything and everyone was frantic trying to get out of the rain. Admitting defeat, we headed back to Satoko's house but stopped on the way for some Tokyo style Okonomiyaki! It's called Monjyaki. . .
and this is the finished product

MonjyakiMonjyaki

Alright, now let's get to the pictures you've all been waiting for :)

THE JAPAN CUP!!! and Tochigi-ken ^^
Despite the thyphoon from the previous day, Sunday was beautiful. I was terribly worried that the weather wouldn't let up. . .so I made a teru teru bouzu. . .which, those of you who know a bit about the inner workings of Japanese culture, might remember to be the little tissue ghost things that are supposed to help bring good weather for the following day. ^^ AND. . .it worked!
These are pictures of Utsunomiya, Tochigi
Tochigi-ken
Tochigi-kenTochigi-ken



Some crazy people were camping out in the Typhoon!!! But I guess they didn't have to wake up at 5. . .-_-


AND OF COURSE. . .THE RACE!!!
the start:
Japan CupJapan Cup


The racers were really fast so some picture are kinda blurry. . .but that just helps to show the ACTION!
Japan Cup
I also climbed the top of the climb, so I was able to get some good slow shots too!
Tochigi-kenJapan CupTochigi-ken


All in all, although it was a pretty long day, it was great fun. And I'm looking forward to catching it again next year. . .hopefully ^^

No comments: