Friday, October 1, 2010

Perth - Gracias 2010/11: Canada World Youth Adventure III

And now it's time for:  trecera actualizacion!!

紅葉: Fall leaves in Perth
Yep, I'm starting to learn more spanish!  Slowly but surely.
I am still in Perth, still on the organic farm, still having fun with Gaby and my Perth-Gracias group!  And yet, much has happened since my last update!
Firstly, the leaves are changing colour already up here and it is absolutely spectacular.  This is the first fall in 3 years that I have been in Canada, and although I always loved driving the number 7 highway from Kingston to Ottawa during university, I have a whole new appreciation for Canadian autumn since I have been away.  I understand in a much greater way why Japanese people are crazy about Canadian 紅葉 which means coloured leaves.
So what have I been up to?
Farmwise - a lot of harvesting, weeding, covering beds, planting spring crops.  We've already had our first frost up here!!  And, although it's been pretty warm since, we're expecting another one this weekend.  So we will probably be doing another big harvesting tomorrow.  I've also become an expert vegan pumpkin pie maker ;)  So you'll have to ask me about it next time you see me if you want some :) haha  Kristine and Malcolm are still wonderful and very accommodating to Gaby and I.  I think we lucked out on our host family for this half of the program anyway!
A number of weeks ago Kristine took Gaby and I to Ottawa for the day.  I took Gaby to do some of the typical Ottawa tourism.  We went to parliament and the market, ate beaver tails(!) and then we met up with one of my friends (that I haven't seen for 4 years) for dinner!  It was great, even though it was raining and pretty cold all day.
2 weeks ago we had a very interesting EAD hosted by 2 members of our lovely group on the importance of conservation areas.  They work with the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority to protect watersheds, stop the erosion of and conserve shorelines, maintain trails, get rid of invasive species etc.  It was really interesting to learn about how even a small change in the shoreline can greatly damage the ecosystem of a body of water.
Back field at Blue Chicory
Then last week Gaby and I decided to go check out a potluck lunch held by MERA, a volunteer group devoted to promoting arts and crafts in and around McDonald's corners (where I live!).  We were the youngest people there by at least 20 years.  But we got to interact with a number of ladies from the community and learn about the interesting projects they're going to be sharing with each other over the year.  I'm so sad I'm leaving!  They have looms to learn weaving, felting, pottery, basket making, spinning, and of course knitting!  It was really interesting to see how excited the ladies were to share their skills with each other and how friendly and connected they were to each other as well.  Yay small communities!  By the way, I've also just completed (close enough) a pair of Alpaca thrums! aka warmest mittens EVER!  Next I will be working on a pair of Newfoundland mittens, the pattern for which I acquired through very curious circumstances. . .oooOOoo
Last weekend we had our mid-project camp.  It was held at Camp Davern, a YMCA/YWCA camp.  The purpose of the camp was to evaluate our program thus far, talk about the learning that we've done through our work placements, host families and community, and group/counter-part pairs as well as consider things we can improve on for the remainder of the Canadian phase and the rest of the program.  We are the first year of a five year program between Perth and Gracias and so it is important for us to make suggestions for improvement for the coming years.  I was on the planning committee for the camp evaluation activities and I think, although they didn't go off exactly according to schedule, they went over really well and were really well received by the group.
We also had a talent show on the Saturday night that I wrote my first rap for!!! haha  Hopefully I'll be able to get it on video and somehow make it available later.  My costume was amazing though.
Perth Rap Presentation: old skool style




Lonely rodes of Lanark County, great for cycling!
On Monday I went to see David Suzuki give his "Legacy Lecture" in Ottawa.  I've seen him speak before but it was still very interesting.  He focused alot, as he did last time, on the disharmony between our economy and ecology.  Although they come from the same  "eco" which means home or household, they both seem to embody very different meanings.  Dr. Suzuki's main argument (I guess) is that until we can see worth, in economical terms in our environment and in the things that are most important to us (loved ones, connections to people, memories, etc.), we are in serious trouble.  Nic Marks, whose TED talk we watched at camp had a very interesting and very related (I think) topic to talk about.  The Happiness Index :)
Today we volunteered at a water awareness day!  We taught 108 elementary school kids about various aspects of water, the water cycle, conservation, watersheds, wetlands, oilspills, etc etc etc.  Takes me back to my elementary school field trip days to St. John's outdoor center :) hee hee.

Canadian Autumn is spectacular


Again, sorry for the length!  There was A LOT to update on.  I'll try to send another update before we head off to Honduras.  There will probably be alot more to update on before then!
Sunset at Blue Chicory, believe it or not, this is a real photo!

No comments: