Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Turning Reservoirs into Mountains

Sorry for being so whiny in my post last week. I'm taking a correspondence writing course through Humber College and have been having a lot of trouble letting the words flow lately.
It's like agreements were written up, contracts signed and somehow before I had a chance to protest, the river was dammed and the crops I was growing in the fertile flood plains shrivelled.
Now I am hatching a terrorist plot to blow up the dam (but shhhhhh don't tell anyone!)*  FREE THE WORDS!!!! 
Please feel free to comment with hilarious puns that I can use as ammo :) (I'm confident there are at least a million) Your support is appreciated!

Anyway, here are some weird/interesting things that happened in Abuja this week so far.
They banned commercial buses in Abuja on Monday! They have replaced them with these buses!

shoddy picture of new 'high capacity buses'
from my 'low capacity' taxi
Many commuters in Abuja were unhappy with the sudden transition (transitions in Nigeria are often sudden. . .) and complained about long waits, increased traffic and poor planning by the transportation administration in Abuja who implemented the ban. High capacity buses were supposed to decrease traffic and cost to commuters but people are reluctant to embrace the change. Maybe because it was so sudden!!

I don't use the buses very much so my opinion is totally irrelevant and should be taken with a grain of salt but generally, lower costs and less traffic are good things, no? Especially if the cost can contribute to society and the local economy. Whether or not that will actually happen is another debate.
There are, of course, victims. Mostly, the owners of the hordes of green 16 seater commercial buses that used to crowd the streets and who are no longer able to operate. I wonder how their families are taking the ban. . .


Interesting thing number 2: carpets!

Carpet Mountain!
I went to get some clothes tailored last week at the tailor that operates under the stairs at a shopping plaza. I wanted to take a picture of that too but felt that it was kind of inappropriate. They had finished my two dresses and one shirt and let me try them on (under the stairs) to make sure they fit. Who knew that you can fit 4 sewing machines, three tailors and piles and piles of colourful fabric in such a tiny space!
Across the plaza from the Harry Potter tailors; carpet mountain!! Behold the wonders! A towering mountain of beautiful carpets to furnish your home.
It's not really that interesting or strange really. I just liked that it was outside. And since it was about to rain, Ogadi was curious about what would happen to them in the rain. . . . .
But don't worry, it has a rain coat!



It's bat time. . .in Kwara a
few weeks ago

So that's been interesting so far this week. It is only Wednesday though so lots more could still happen! And I think that maybe, just maybe, I've pulled myself out of the slump. . .perhaps (^^)V









*Wonder how many hits I'll get from the CIA/FBI/other security monitoring personnel for that metaphor! If you happen to be one, Thanks for visiting. I'm not really a terrorist! That metaphor was just a desperate attempt to keep my creativity alive! Hope you have a wonderful day ♥

No comments: