Sunday, March 9, 2008

Next stop, Vietnam!

In Japan, school ends in March. Graduation is in March as well. The new school year starts in April. Since I teach at elementary school (I assume that's why), this means that I have 2 full weeks of office days at the end of march. For some background, I'm not really allowed to take holidays when I have classes since, I have about 15 schools and don't see the kids very often. Some schools I only go to once a semester so if I happen to take a vacation the day that I go to that school, those kids are completely deprived of meeting me. I mean, not that I'm a celebrity or it's a great tragedy or anything, but I guess that's how my board of education sees it. So anyways, I have 2 full weeks where I can take vacation!
So, I'm wondering all last week "where should I go?". . . . . .I have offers from my new friend in Thailand to have a real home-stay experience. . .but, I just went there and don't really think I should go again yet. . . .hmmmmm I coulllldddddd go to Hiroshima??. . .Okinawa? Hokkaido?? There's a 300km bike ride for charity in Oita-ken. . .buttt, I don't have a bike (except for my 1 speed that is kinda falling apart). . .hmmm Maybe I will ask my other english teaching friends. . .
On Thursday, I had a meeting with the other JETs in Aichi-ken. We have it every month.
I ask the guy I'm sitting beside "Where should I go on vacation?"
He says "Have you been to Vietnam yet?"
I say "no"
"Then go there."
"hmm, ok!"
2~3 hours later, I booked my flight.
I have to pay for it tomorrow, and I have to wait til my visa gets sent back to me by the Vietnamese consulate in Tokyo, but it's more or less official, I'm going to Vietnam in 2 weeks!
Of course, as usual I have no official schedule besides flying into and out of Hanoi. . .and I will be by myself, but, I think it will be another fun adventure ^^ hee hee.

No comments: