Friday, June 25, 2010

Canada World Youth Exchange!!

I'm finally back in Canada from my stint of English teaching followed by cycling tour across Japan, side trips and volunteering in most of Asia, backpacking through and volunteering in Nepal, India and Bhutan for 4 months and having an amazing time generally!!  It's been quite the journey and adventure.
 I met so many incredible people, learned and saw so many incredible things and loved every second of it (or at least, am able to see the bad seconds as good learning experiences or forget them completely because the good seconds were JUST THAT GOOD).

 I got back to Canada in March and it has been great so far!  I'm living at home, which is good because I haven't seen my parents for almost 3 years and still have some serious catching up to do.  Being away from home really makes you realize how precious your family and friends are.  I'm back on the bike (surprise surprise) and it took a while to get myself back in shape after 5 months of being lazy, eating lots of curry and breathing in all the wonderful aromas (among other things) that make up the air in India all day, but it
 looks like I'm starting to get my legs back.  I'm currently working 2 serving jobs, part time, since it's not really summer yet. . .which is also fine for now.  So ya, things are going pretty well here!

 And, just when you thought I might be settling down, you could send me a  letter, plan a welcome home party, have a family reunion etc. etc., i'm off again!

 This time, I'm extremely excited to let you know that I've been selected as a volunteer participant for Canada World Youth!  What is this "Canada World Youth"?  I hear you ask. . .well, let me tell you!
 Canada World Youth has been running its programs for 37 years. It is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that offers international educational programs to youth between the ages of 17 and 24. Canada World Youth's mission is to increase the ability of people, and especially young people, to participate actively in the development of just, harmonious and sustainable societies.

During my exchange, which will be six months long, I will live in two communities (one in Perth, Ontario, Canada and one in Gracias de Lempira, Honduras) and carry out volunteer work projects with a group of other Canadians and youth volunteers from Honduras.  Through the CWY program, I will discover new realities, explore different cultures, and learn other languages.

I will keep you updated as to how the project/preparations are going once they begin! 

No comments: